WORDS Debbie Loots IMAGES courtesy of FNB JoburgArtFair
Love art? Then the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg is the place to be from 9 to 11 September 2016. Here’s why:
- You don’t want to miss out. This year, the Art Fair focuses on new works by East African artists, as well as artists from the diaspora, including Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan. Part of the Fair’s Special Projects programme, it’s a unique opportunity to experience the developments and narratives of new and established artists from these African regions.
- It’s your chance to see the fabulous work of the Fair’s featured artist, Wangechi Mutu. Born in Kenya, she’s lived and worked in New York for many years before establishing a studio in Nairobi. Wangechi will showcase her animated short film, The End of Eating Everything, as well as a sculptural work, Sleeping Serpent. Known for her fantastical and other-worldly artworks, Wangechi’s influences include gender, race, colonialism and the plight of the environment.
- You’ll experience the awesome interventions of the Fair’s featured designer, Kossi Aguessy. Also known as the Togolese magician of design, his unique assemblages of furniture and artwork will be showcased at the Fair’s Lounge. Look out for The Stool, a brass work inspired by a Somalian sheep keeper and a contemporary skateboard, and Zoo, a glazed ceramic mask, informed by traditional Nubian masks.
- Everybody loves TEDx. And for the first time ever, the Fair will present a series of talks on contemporary African art at the TEDxJohannesburgSalon. This is thanks to Ogogiii, a bi-quarterly African design and culture magazine. Happening at the Theatre on the Square, you can catch some famous artists, curators and academics talking about what they love most.
- You’ll rub shoulders with the who’s who of the art world. The FNB JoburgArtFair is seen as the art event of the year, and with its 80 exhibitions, galleries and organisations from 17 countries in Africa, Europe and America, you’ll really want to be part of the art action.
The FNB JoburgArt Fair runs from 9 September to 11 September 2016 at the Sandton Convention Centre. The Fair will be open from 12pm – 8pm on Friday, from 10am – 6pm on Saturday and from 10am – 5pm on Sunday. Tickets cost R100 for Friday, R130 for Saturday/Sunday or R260 for a full weekend pass. For more information, visit fnbjoburgartfair.co.za.