WORDS Cheri Morris
Local designer and entrepreneur Primrose Chimhanda, a Design Indaba Emerging Creative and finalist in 2018’s Nando’s Hot Young Designer talent search, is the founder of Primrose Charmz, an eco-friendly textile, homeware and surface design brand.
Her first collection, 27, is an arresting exploration of surface design inspired by nature and geometry. “Each design is inspired by a form of nature which represents an expression of the most powerful lessons I’ve learned this year,” says Primrose. “These themes are also relatable to society.”
The 27 collection, named after her current age, and a year that she says has been the most transformational of her life, boasts a range of intricate designs informed by nature’s own creativity:
- The Lotus: Blooming from the depths of mud, her lotus-inspired design is symbolic for overcoming trials and reaching enlightenment.
- The Dandelion: Beautifully simple, her dandelion-inspired prints symbolise overcoming hardship to emerge victorious.
- The Protea: A homage to home, South Africa’s national flower print symbolises courage, strength and transformation.
- The Monarch: Metamorphosing from caterpillar to winged wonder, this design is symbolic of transformation.
- The Daffodil: The bold lines of an otherwise ethereal flower represents new beginnings and the rebirth of self.
As a self-proclaimed holistic designer, Primrose aims to create design solutions that are focused on delivering an amazing end-user experience while simultaneously promoting an improved bond between humanity and nature.