WORDS Lindi Brownell Meiring IMAGES courtesy of AfriSam-SAIA Awards
The AfriSam-SAIA (South African Institute of Architects) Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation shortlist of 14 projects has been announced.
The Award recognises the best contributions to the field of sustainable architecture, in terms of both practice and innovation, as well as how the project affects living environments.
The shortlist comes as a result of an intensive screening process by an esteemed panel of judges and is divided into four categories, namely Architecture; Research in Sustainability; Sustainable Products and Technology; and Sustainable Social Programmes.
Below, you’ll find a selection of seven of the projects up for an award this year:
- Northcliff House by Architecture for a Change (A4aC)
- House Burnett Prinsloo by Robert de Jager Architects
- Fulham Heights by Local Studio (Pty) Ltd
- RBDIZ Entrance Gate by Jeremy Steere Architect
- Johannesburg Holocaust and Genocide Centre by architect Lewis Levin
- Malawi Church by A4aC
- Silindokuhle Preschool by Collectif saga
The winner of the AfriSam-SAIA Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation will be announced at a gala event at Zeitz MOCAA on 26 October 2018.